Wednesday 3 July 2013

TENSE FORMATION SOME CONDITIONAL SENTENCES


SOME CONDITIONAL SENTENCES :


For revision sake here are some examples of conditional sentences.

Future Tense is used to express an action taking place in future time but in some sentences there are two actions one dependent on the other action.

In both the cases, action is to take place at some future time. But  formation of these sentences is not necessarily to be done as per Future Tense.


1.It may be Present tense in both the sentences


For Example :
  • If you go to the market, bring a bag for me.


Explanation:Action of both the verbs 'go' & 'bring' is to take place in future but in sentences present tense is used.



For Example : 
  • If you work hard, you may succeed.

Explanation :
Both the actions "work" and "succeed" are to take place in future time but in formation of sentence, we use present tense here.


If you meet him , convey my regards to him.

Action in respect of both the verbs 'meet' and 'convey' is to take place in future.




Present tense in one sentence taking place first and future tense in the second sentence is used.

For Example :
  • If it rains tomorrow, I shall not go to school.
Explanation:
Here action of both the verbs 'rain' and'go' is to take place in future time but future  tense in the main sentence and present tense in the other part is used.

For Example :
  • As you sow so shall you reap.



In both the cases sow and reap action is to take place but tense of future  tense in the main sentence and present in the other is used.

It will be wrong to write - If it will rain tomorrow I shall not go to office.


Here are some exercises relating to conditional sentences for practice.





EXERCISE NO 1


Fill in the appropriate form of the given verb in the blank.

1. If you ............(request) him, he ...........(help) you.

2. If he ...........(not work) hard, he ..........(fail) in the examination.

3. We .........(go) out for a picnic tomorrow if it ........(not rain).

4. Birds ..........(start) chirping when the sun ...........(rise) in the morning.

5. I .........(get) bored if I ..........(sit)  idle.









EXERCISE NO  2


Fill in the appropriate form of the given verb in the blank.


1. I shall come even if it ..........(rain) tomorrow.

2. If you ........(come) to my house, I ..........(accompany) you.

3. If he ............(agree), I ...........(pay) him money.

4. You ..........(suffer) if you .........(not accept) his advice.

5. We ........(wear) woollen clothes, when it .......(be) cold.






EXERCISE No 3 


Fill in the appropriate form of the given verb in the blank.


1. If you ............( not help)  him, he ...........(ruin).

2. If you .........(go) out in cold you ...........(fall) ill.

3. If the patient .....(take)  medicine regularly he ....... (recover) soon.

4. If he ...........(take) care of himself  he ............(not fall) ill.

5.If it .........(rain) I  ........... (not go) to office tomorrow.







Exercise No 4


Rewrite the following sentences after making correction wherever necessary.



1. When he will grow up he will become a doctor.

2. Players, when will not play, will take rest.

3. I fear when he will meet him he will narrate the whole incident to him.

4. The patient will not get cured if he will not take medicine regularly.

5. You will enjoy  yourself If you will go out for a walk by river side.





EXERCISE NO. 5.



Fill in the blank in the following sentences with an appropriate given option.



1.  If I had known you were coming,...................

a. I will stay at home.
b. I would stay at home.
c. I would have stayed at home.

2. What would you have done,....................

a. if you were attacked by a lion.
b. if you had been attacked by a lion.
c. if you would have been attacked by a lion.

3. If I weren't so busy,................

a. I would accompany you.
b. I'll accompany you.
c. I'd have accompany you.

4. If I were a millionaire,.........

a. I'll help the poor.
b. I'd have help the poor.
c. I would help the poor.

5. If it rains,.................

a. the match would have cancelled.
b. the match will be cancelled.
c. the match would be cancelled.










(ANSWERS)



EXERCISE NO 1


Fill in the appropriate form of the given verb in the blank.

1. If you request him, he will help you.

2. If he does not work hard, he will fail in the examination.

3. We will go out for a picnic tomorrow if it does not rain.

4. Birds will start chirping when the sun rises in the morning.

5. I shall get bored if I sit  idle.


OR

4. Birds  start chirping when the sun rises in the morning.

5. I get bored if I sit  idle.










EXERCISE NO  2


Fill in the appropriate form of the given verb in the blank.


1. I shall come even if it rains tomorrow.

2. If you come to my house, I shall accompany you.

3. If he agrees, I shall pay him money.

4. You will suffer if you do not accept his advice.

5. We shall wear woollen clothes, when it is cold.




EXERCISE No 3 


Fill in the appropriate form of the given verb in the blank.


1. If you do not help  him, he will ruin.

2. If you go out in cold you will fall ill.

3. If the patient takes  medicine regularly he will recover soon.

4. If he takes care of himself  he will not fall ill.

5.If it rains I shall not go to office tomorrow.




Exercise No 4


Rewrite the following sentences after making correction wherever necessary.



1. When he grows up he will become a doctor.

2. Players, when do not play, will take rest.

3. I fear when he meets him he will narrate the whole incident to him.

4. The patient will not get cured if he does not take medicine regularly.

5. You will enjoy  yourself If you go out for a walk by river side. 






EXERCISE NO 5.


1.   c.        
2.   a.
3.   a.
4.   c
5.   b.
   









6 comments:

  1. 1. Who is there? It is me. Correct
    2. I like curly hairs. Correct
    3. Travel lightly if you must. if you want
    4. I found a ten rupees note yesterday. ten rupee
    5. If I shall go to Delhi I shall bring a watch for you. i shall ..i will

    please correct with explanation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear reader Welcome @anonymous
      1. Here subject is required in place of who. Subjects are :

      I my me
      We our Us
      You Your You
      He his him
      She Her Her
      They Their Them
      I,we you, He She & They in the first line are subject These are to be used in place of who.
      It will be I and not me.
      2. It is not hairs but hair. I like her curly hair.
      3. Here adverb should be light and not lightly.Travel light if you must.......
      4. It should be ten rupee note & not ten rupees note.
      5. Here both actions are to be taken in future but in one sentence present is used and in other future is used. So it will be If I go to Delhi I shall bring a watch for you.

      I think all are clear now. OK Best Wishes

      Delete
  2. MY ANSWERS TO Exercise 2 :


    1. They had gone to the market yesterday.----->They HAD gone to the market yesterday.
    2. He is living in this house for the last two years.---->He has been living in this house for the last two years.
    3. God will help you if you will help me.--->god will help you ,if you help me.
    4 I am working for the last two hours.--->i have been working for the last two hours
    5. You will succeed only if you will work hard.--->You will succeed only if you work hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kiran,

      Solution For Exercise 2

      1. Words like Yesterday or Last Sunday show that the sentence is of Past Indefinite Tense. In this tense second form of verb is used.
      They went to the market yesterday.

      All other sentences in Ex2 are correctly answered by you.

      Delete
  3. Exercise 3 :

    Correct the following sentences:

    1.A new mall has been started last Sunday.---->a new mall started....
    2.People left the place before the storm started.---->correct
    3.He,you and I are at fault.--->i,you and he
    4.He managed to pass some how.--->correct
    5.We rare see a tiger these days---->we rarely see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kiran,

      Solutions for Exercise 3 :

      1. A new mall started.......is correct.

      2. Just think of a sentence like...the patient had died before the doctor came.
      First action has already taken place before the second started. In one sentence it is Past Perfect Tense and in other it is Past Indefinite Tense. So it is People had left the place before the storm stated.

      3. In bad action it is First person,Third person & second person. In good one it is Second person, third& First person So it is I,He and You...........

      4. He managed to pass any how.

      5. Rare is adjective.Here adverb is required so it will be rarely.

      Delete