Monday 4 August 2014

CHANGE THE VOICE --ACTIVE AND PASSIVE VOICE - SENTENCES WITH MODALS CONTD. FROM PREVIOUS POST


There are two forms of sentences Active and Passive forms. The process of changing a sentence from one form to other  is called 'change of the voice'.

In examination there are questions in the form of change of sentences from one form of voice to another i.e. from active to passive form or vice versa.  There are also questions to rectify errors due to wrong change of voice.


A sentence generally has in it a  Subject , Verb and object. Some sentences do not have an object but for change of voice an object in a sentence is necessary.




Change of Voice in case of --- SENTENCES WITH MODALS


There are certain words in a sentence which are used to support the main verb of the sentence. These words are used to help the verb and are called helping verbs or modals e.g. Can, Could, May, Might, Should, Would, Ought to, Must etc.  While changing such a sentence having a modal or helping verb in it to passive voice the word 'be' is used with these words. For example:


Active voice- Modal +first form of verb.

Passive voice- Modal +be +third form of verb.


1. We can win this match very easily.

This match can be won very easily by us.

2. You could not do your work.

Your work could not be done by you.

3. She may not help you.

You may not be helped by her.

4. She might have lost her keys.

Her keys might have been lost by her.

5.They must do their work.

Their work must be done by them.

6. Can you lend me your pen?

Can I be lent your pen by you?

7. How should I start  my work?

How should my work be started by me?

8. When should I contact him?

When should he be contacted by me?

9. Should we obey his orders?

Should his orders be obeyed by us?

10. You may leave the  room now.

The room may be left now by you.

11. May I leave now?

Am I allowed to leave now?

12. We should not waste our time.

Our time should not be wasted. 

13. He might not approach you.

You might not be approached by him.

14. She might have  misplaced her purse somewhere. 

Her purse might have been misplaced somewhere by her.

15. We ought to obey our elders.

Our elders ought to be obeyed.








Some sentences with exception:


1. I know him.
He is known
to me.


2. His behaviour surprised me.
I was surprised
at his behaviour.


3. His conduct displeased me.
I was displeased
with his behaviour.


4. This box contains ten books.
Ten books are contained
in this box.

5. This news shocked all the spectators.
All the spectators were shocked at this news.

SOME TYPICAL SENTENCES


1. One should do one's duty.    

Duty should be done.        

2. One must respect one's parents.         

Parents must be respected.


3. Someone stole my purse.   

  My purse was stolen.

4. May he live long!               

 It is prayed that he may live long.


5. May we see the patient?       Are we allowed to see the patient?


6. He hopes to go to Simla.        

  It is hoped that he will go.      to Simla.


7. He obliged me.            

    I was obliged to him

8. The people lined the road.

   The road was lined with.        the people.


9. The spectators thronged.         the streets.

    The streets were thronged with     the spectators.


10. People have gone to see the hanging of the murderer.


People have gone to the hanging of the murderer to be seen.


11. Women like men to flatter them.

Women like to be flattered by men.


12. Rose smells sweet.
   

    Rose is sweet when smelt.


13. These pieces of sugarcane taste sweet.

These pieces of sugarcane are sweet when tasted.


14. Quinine tastes bitter.

Quinine is bitter when tasted.


15. What one cannot cure must endure.


What cannot be cured must be endured.


16. God helps those who help themselves.


Those who help themselves are helped by God.OR


Those who are helped by themselves are helped by God.


17. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones at others.


Stones  should not be thrown at others by those who live in glass houses.


18. He who knows that he knows knows nothing.
Nothing is known to him by whom it is known that it is known to him.


19. He who does not know that he knows knows something.


Something is known to him to whom it is not known that it is known to him.

20. I kept him waiting.
   He was kept waiting by me.


21. He made me work.
I was made to work by him.


22. I want you to help me.
I want to be helped by you.

23. It is time to take food.
It is time for food to be taken.


24. It is necessary to pay fee.
It is necessary for fee to be paid.


25. Let us do our work.
Let our work be done by us.

26. They want me to finish the work by ten.
I am wanted by them  to finish the work by ten.
OR
They want the work to be finished  by  ten by me. 


Send/email/post/write in comment box correct answer.


                                                                     








3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. Voice over

    ReplyDelete
  3. But first of all, ask yourself why you want to make a career change in the first place. Are you bored? Stuck in an industry with lots of competition? Are you ready for a new challenge?

    ReplyDelete