Friday 10 January 2014

NARRATION -----Change of Different types of sentences from Indirect speech into Direct speech



NARRATION -----Change  of Different types of sentences from 

Direct speech into Indirect speech And Vice Versa.

   




There are two different ways of expressing things. A statement given by the speaker himself is direct form of speech whereas the same statement conveyed by another person to someone is indirect way of speech.

There are two forms of speech :-

Howard said to his brother, “I am going to the market.”
Howard told his brother that he was going to the market.

When the actual form and words of the speaker are used, it is direct speech but when one gives the substance of speech of the speaker it is indirect speech.


Direct speech consists of two parts:-

1. Reporting speech 2. Reported speech


These two parts are separated from each other by a comma (,) and inverted commas (“ ”). 


The part outside the inverted commas forms reporting speech (i.e. who is reporting and to whom) and that enclosed within the inverted commas is reported speech (i.e. the matter that is being reported).


 The first word of the reported speech begins with a capital letter.



In Indirect Speech


inverted commas are not used, but generally reporting speech and reported speech are joined together by the conjunction like ‘that’, ‘if’ or ‘whether’ etc.

 the comma between reporting speech and reported speech is removed.

The signs of question mark and exclamation are not used. Instead full stop sign is used.

The tense of reporting speech is not changed.


The forms of interrogative, imperative, exclamatory and optative sentences are changed to assertive sentence.


The tense of reported speech is changed according to the tense of reporting speech.






EXERCISES FOR PRACTICE




(Change from Indirect to Direct form)




ONE



The gentleman asked the child in a loud voice who he was and why he was roaming in his garden at that time. 

The child respectfully replied in a very low voice that he had come there to see the garden. He loved flowers and wanted to see the blooming flowers.


 The gentleman asked the child if he was not aware of that he did not allow any body to enter the garden. He ordered him to leave the garden at once and forbade him to come there again.

The child requested the gentleman to allow him to stay there for some time because a few flowers had started blooming in a corner in the garden.

The gentleman exclaimed with surprise and asked if it was true that flowers had started blooming in his garden in the season of winter also. He told the child to let him see himself.


SOLUTION

The gentleman said to the child in a loud voice,"Who are you ? Why are you roaming in his garden at this time?"


The child said in a very low voice," Sir, I have come here to see the garden. I love flowers. I want to see the blooming flowers."

 The gentleman said to the child," Are you not aware of that I do not allow any body to enter the garden? He said to him,"Leave the garden at once.Do not come here again."

The child said to the gentleman, "Please allow me to stay here for some time because a few flowers have started blooming in a corner in the garden."

 The gentleman said, "What! Is it true that flowers have started blooming in my garden in the season of winter also? Let me see myself,child."





TWO



 The beggar exclaimed saying that the rich man was very noble and told him that he had not taken any food that day and he was feeling very hungry. He requested him to have pity on him and give some food to him. He prayed to God to grant him a lot of wealth.

The rich man asked him why he begged alms and why he did not do any work. He told him that if he was interested he could arrange a good job for him.

The beggar exclaimed with joy and told him that he would be very thankful to the Almighty if it was so. 



SOLUTION

The beggar said to the rich man,"How noble you are ! I have not taken any food today. I am feeling very hungry. Please have pity on me. Give me some food. May God grant you a lot of wealth !"


The rich man said to him,"Why do you beg alms? Why do you not do any work? If you are interested I can arrange a good job for you."

The beggar said,"Hurrah! I shall be very thankful to the Almighty if it is so."




THREE


The Lady Luck asked the young man why he was looking so sad that day and if he had lost anything and if he needed any help. She told him that if he liked she could help him.


He asked her but who she was and if she knew him and why she was taking so much interest in him.

She told him that although they had not met each other earlier yet she knew him very well and she had come there to help him. 


She advised him not be afraid and told him that once they were friends she would never leave him. 

She told him further to let her assure him that he could depend upon her. She suggested to him that they should be friends and live happily.

The young man exclaimed with sorrow that he had lost his friends and told her that he had been helping his friends for a long time but they had deserted him when he had asked for their help.

The young man thanked her for her kind help and prayed that their friendship might last long.



SOLUTION

The Lady Luck said to the the young man," Why are you looking so sad today? Have you lost anything ? Do you need any help? 


She said to him," If you like I can help you.".


He said to her," But who are you ? Do you know me? Why are you taking so much interest in me?"

She said to him," Although we have not met each other earlier yet I know you very well.I have come here to help you."


 She said to him," Do not be afraid. Once we are friends I shall never leave you."

She said to him,"Let me assure you that you can depend upon me.". She said to him," Let us be friends and live happily."


The young man said," Alas! I have lost my friends. I have been helping my friends for a long time but they deserted me when I asked for their help."


The young man said to her," Thank you for your kind help.May our friendship last long!"





FOUR


 The robber ordered the hermit to stop and forbade to move further otherwise he would kill him.

The hermit told the robber that he had already stopped and asked him when he would stop his deeds.

The robber ordered the hermit to be quick and hand over whatever he had in his possession.

The hermit told him that for that he would have to go to his hermitage because he did not keep his belongings with him in person.

He suggested to him that they should go to his hermitage from where he might collect whatever he liked.





SOLUTION



The robber said to the hermit,"Stop! Do not move further otherwise I shall kill you."


The hermit said to the robber,"I have already stopped. When will you stop doing your deeds?" 

The robber said to the hermit," Be quick. Hand over whatever you have in your possession."

The hermit said to him,"For that you will have to go to my hermitage because I do not keep my belongings with me in person. Let us go to my hermitage from where you may collect whatever you like."





FIVE

 The king wandering in the garb of a traveller asked the old man sitting by the roadside who he was and what he was doing there and why he did not go to his home as it was already dark then.


The old man told him that he had no home and he wandered here and there in search of food. He told him that he spent the night wherever he happened to be at that time.



The king exclaimed with surprise and asked him if he did not have his family and a house of his own.

He told him that he was the king of that country. He told him to tell him if he could do anything for him. 


The old man stood up and requested the king with his folded hands to call his soldiers and instruct them to kill him immediately because he wanted to get rid of his enemy.

The king asked the old man who his enemy was and why he was so afraid of him. 

 The old man respectfully told him that it was poverty and he was fed up and he wanted to get rid of it.



SOLUTION

The King wandering in the garb of a traveller said to the old man sitting by the roadside,"Who are you?What are you doing here? Why don't you go to your home as it is already dark now?"

The old man said to him,"I have no home. I wander here and there in search of food. I spend the night wherever I happen to be at that time."

The king said to the old man."What! Don't you have your family and a house of your own? I am the king of this country. Tell me if I can do any thing for you."

The old man stood up and said to the King with his folded hands,"Please call your soldiers and instruct them to kill me immediately because I want to get rid of my enemy."

The king said to the old man,"Who is your enemy? Why are you so afraid of him?"The old man said," Sir, it is poverty. I am fed up and I want to get rid of it." 


For more on topic also visit:

https://youtube.com/c/LessonEnglishGrammar

































Your views/suggestions about style/content of blog are solicited. Do post/e-mail.



No comments:

Post a Comment